Geology Program Requirements
- Tiffany Rivera (Co-Chair)
- Nick Pollock (Co-Chair)
- Ability to synthesize multiple lines of evidence and multiple sources of data to support geologic hypotheses
- Ability to use an Earth Systems perspective to integrate understanding of geologic processes across disciplines
- Ability to evaluate data necessary to answer a particular question
- Ability to think and extrapolate across a broad range of temporal and dimensional scales
- Ability to work collaboratively to break a complex problem into simpler, individually achievable tasks
- Ability to work together constructively in challenging field environments
- Ability to explain geologic information at a level appropriate to the audience
- Ability to read and understand the geologic literature and to create original research reports
- Ability to communicate scientific information through verbal and written presentation of data, graphics, and maps.
- Ability to assess the effects of human activity on the natural environment
- Ability to bring a geologic perspective to discussions of social issues
The Geology program offers a Bachelor of Science degree for students interested in understanding the earth. The degree incorporates a diversity of both perspectives and methods. Classes incorporate lecture, lab, and fieldwork to study our planet’s physical, chemical, and biological history.
Students must maintain a minimum 2.3 GPA in all courses required for the major.
Students must meet the university-wide graduation requirements in addition to the Geology major:
- 124 total hours
- 30 upper division hours
- WCore or Honors College requirements
For course prerequisites, please refer to the course descriptions.
|I. World Language Requirement
|The student must complete eight credit hours in a single world language.
|II. Lower Division Geology Courses
|III. Upper Division Geology Courses
|Students must take an additional twelve credits in geology, including at least one course at the 400 level.
|V. Required Courses from Other Programs
|Total Hours for the Geology Major
Recommended Plan of Study for Geology
|GEOL 107 or GEOL 111
MATH 202 or DATA 220
PHYS 151 or PHYS 211
PHYS 152 or PHYS 212
|I. Required Geology Courses
|Students wishing to complete a minor must take an additional twelve credits in Geology, at least eight of which are at the 300 level. ENVI 305 is also an acceptable elective.
|Total Hours for the Geology Minor